Because of its astringent properties, however, lotus stamen should not be taken by patients suffering from constipation. Lotus Seeds health benefits includes managing diabetes, treating insomnia, supporting stomach health, slowing down aging process, supporting oral health, and providing instant energy. Voted up and interesting! Lotus flowers have been used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat diarrhoea. There is not enough known about lotus to know if it is safe. Ziziphus lotus in Greek mythology is considered a lotus tree. ethanol concentration (aqEtOH) and US frequency affecting the extraction of flavonoids from N. lotus stamens. According to TCM, lotus stamens are associated with the kidney and heart meridians. The Lotus is correlated with the sun in Egyptian mythology because it opens in day time and closes during night. The large leaves are used to wrap around sticky rice as they do not stick to the food. Although I was very familiar with the pleasing aesthetics of the Lotus plant, I did not know it was edible. Your comments are much appreciated. The roasted seeds can be used as coffee substitute. Abdus Salam from Bangladesh on May 19, 2013: very very informative hub about health benefits. For this. More than just a beautiful adornment, Asia’s revered lotus flower offers up several compounds with antihistamine, mast cell stabilising and anti-inflammatory properties. on March 07, 2014: Thanks Deepa. Receive Advanced Notice of Future Webinars, © 2020 Acupuncture Today™ All Rights Reserved, Editorial: Submit an Article, Submission Guidelines, Editorial Calendar, Meet the Staff, Standard Process and Integria Healthcare Sign 10-Year Extended Partnership Agreement, Treasure of the East Announces National Distribution Agreement with Emerson Ecologics, MediHerb Re-Releases Cat's Claw Forte, Providing Patients with Quality Immune System Support. Scientific Name(s): Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency. In this mission I was fortunate enough to learn about Lotus, you helped me a lot. Additional common names include East Indian lotus and Hindu lotus. Ground, roasted seeds can be used as a coffee substitute. This beautiful flower has also contains the vitamin and nutrients that is good for body, and many uses as it said above. Retrieved November 24, 2017, from http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/nutrients-lotus-roots-high-3520.html, http://www.ijat-aatsea.com/pdf/JUN_V3_07/13-IJAT2007_07-R.pdf, http://www.flowersociety.org/lotus-plant-study.htm, http://sayeverything.org/pipermail/sayeverything_sayeverything.org/2011-December/005576.html, http://www.bookmydoctor.com/health-article/health-benefits-of-lotus-seeds-makhana-253/, http://ayurvedaplace.com/2011/05/11/lotus-%E2%80%93-india%E2%80%99s-most-sacred-plant/. The flowers consist of 5 sepals, 5 stamens and 5 petals. They are aquatic perennials that grow in a tropical to subtropical climate. the seeds, rhizomes, leaves and flowers. The stamens are used in flavoring the tea. Very informative and useful. Lotus is a plant. This article will discuss the lotus stamen and its use in herbal medicine. Lotus contains several alkaloids and flavonoids. Gruenwald J, Brendler T, Jaenicke C (eds. Dried lotus stamens are used to make tea. It takes a large amount of flowers to produce just a handful of stamens, so these are offered seasonally, and often disappear quickly. Thanks for writing this hub. The younger stems are also pickled. For the price, it really is worth trying. The stamens are dried and made into a fragrant herbal tea. Information since my mother with cancer in 2002 i found my self becoming investigative in herbal. Lotus stamen extracts can also be applied to the skin, with the amount used depending on the amount of skin being treated. The flowers, seed, leaves, and parts of the underground stem (rhizome) are used to make medicine. Benefits of the Lotus … - I have to apologize to the country mentioned below due to I cant ship to you. Best of all, the lotus is highly edible, tasty and fairly easy to find frozen or as a tea. Traditional uses and benefits of Lotus tree In traditional medicine, Z. lotus is used as anti-diabetes, sedative, bronchitis, and anti-diarrhea by local populations. Nymphaea lotus L. is the medicinal plant that has long been used for food, cosmetics and traditional medicines in Africa and Asia since ancient times. @Jo-good to know it provided you with new info. Lotus is widely used as an aphrodisiac, pain reliever and memory enhancer. The lotus plant helps improve skin … According to the principles of traditional Chinese medicine, lotus stamen is sweet and neutral, and is associated with the Kidney and Heart meridians. In my in my environment. Lotus stem c… 100 % Sacred Lotus Stamens or Sacred Lotus Pollen Unlike other parts - stamens have the most pleasant taste. @shining-I'm glad you could glean useful info from the hub. This article reviews the traditional uses, phytochemistry and therapeutic reports on different parts of N. nucifera viz. @Rasma-thanks for sharing. Lotus stem, or kamal kakdi, is a common vegetable in Indian cuisine, although it might not be easily found in your grocery store's produce section. Excellent source of Vitamin C, with 73% of RDA per 100g. The lotus fruit usually ripens in fall and is about 1-2 cm in size. Some deities, including Lord Vishnu, Lord Ganesha, Goddess Lakshmi, Goddess Saraswati, and Goddess Ganga, are portrayed standing or sitting on lotus flowers. A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I-J-K | L | M | N-O | P-Q | R | S | T | U | V | W-X-Y-Z. Lotus flowers are used to stop bleeding. Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on April 15, 2013: I have only seen dried seed pods of the lotus plant used in dried arrangements. Its flavonoids and other interesting phytochemical compounds from rhizome, leaf and the whole flowers have been reported in the previous published research. It can use as a sleep aid, as a natural anti-anxiety remedy, and as a stress reliever. Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. Nice enough to smoke alone but more effective combined with Damiana. Eaten on a regular basis it can improve your immunity, help in detoxifying and even in losing weight. Lotus Stamens/Lian Xu: Benefits the Heart and Kidney: … Use a blanket to support the leg on the floor. Certainly, it's precious with a rich set of nutrients in all its parts. Since then I have made it a mission of mine to only eat things that can help heal my body. A Review on Health Benefits of Lotus Seeds (Nelumbo nucifera) Ms.Soumya Hajela 1, Dr.Rachana Srivastava 2, ... known flavonoids were isolated from lotus stamens, mos t of which also showed po tent . The fruit or seed head resembles the spout of a watering can. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies, supplements or starting a new health regime. The flowers too can be big, sometimes as many as eight inches in diameter. Low in sodium and high in potassium and has the optimum 1:4 ratio of these minerals. It helps to treat conditions such as leukorrhagia, diarrhea, frequent urination and premature ejaculation. In the Half Lotus Pose, bring one leg into the groin and rest the other on the ground in a bent position. Ground into a flour, they can be used to thicken soups or to make bread. It helps to treat conditions such as leukorrhagia, diarrhea, frequent urination and premature ejaculation. I'm glad you found this informative. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Please note that you should never self-prescribe TCM ingredients. on May 20, 2013: @Indian Chef-I like the pickle as well as bhein vegetable. (n.d.). Lotus plants are among the few species of plants that can regulate the temperature of their flowers within an optimal range to attract cold-blooded insects for pollination. The dyed lotus stamens and corn stigmas were mixed with saffron from Zhejiang Province, China, to final mass fractions of 5 %, 10 %, 20 %, 40 %, and 80 %, based on the total mass of lotus stamens, corn stigmas, and saffron. IMPORTANT!! Passing this on. Lotus rootlets are used in pickles, along with rice vinegar, sugar, chili and/ or garlic. Its amazing that the seeds can stand the test of time for thousand plus years. The seeds can be eaten as a snack when roasted, boiled, or candied. The lotus has the title of India’s national flower and is a symbol of purity in Buddhist and Hindu traditions. A Review on Health Benefits of Lotus Seeds (Nelumbo nucifera) Ms.Soumya Hajela 1, Dr.Rachana Srivastava 2, ... known flavonoids were isolated from lotus stamens, mos t of which also showed po tent . Many vendors also sell formulas that incorporate dried or powdered lotus stamen. Jo Alexis-Hagues from Lincolnshire, U.K on April 15, 2013: Wow....another incredible food source, and a fascinating read, I used to think of the Lotus only as a beautiful flower; I now know it is also very nutritious. Special Precautions & Warnings: Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking lotus if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. For centuries, lotus flowers, seed, leaves, and parts of the underground stem (rhizome) have been used to make medicine. Chamomile Objectives Nelumbo nucifera Gaertn. That is an amazing thing that seeds as old as 1300 years could still germinate! Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. Use of lotus stamens (Lian Xu) in TCM. Amazing plant since all parts of it are edible. The whole plant of Lotus is used as an antidote for mushroom poisoning. Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. Lotus stamen can be infused as tea or blended into herbal formulations. Thanks for reading, voting and sharing. Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. Lotus stem, also known as kamal kakdi, offers a wide range of health benefits to mankind. These are WHOLE organic Blue Lotus flower stamens. on April 17, 2013: I do hope you try them. Tender rhizomes, stems, and leaves of lotus are edible, and its seeds are rich in protein as well as minerals. In addition, some vendors may sell an extract of lotus stamen. What an amazing creation, able to regulate its own temperature. The stamens are helpful for metrorrhagia, spermotorrhoea, haemoptysis and insomnia. The seeds can be made into a paste to make soups and are also used in cooking and baking. (Nymphaeaceae), also known as sacred lotus, is a well known medicinal plant. Blue Lotus contains nuciferine along with aporphine 14, that activate serotonin and dopamine receptors 15 17. I have a question, does lotus plant purify the waters and provide oxygen to the fish in a pond? Amazingly, the seeds remain viable, under the right conditions, for hundreds of years. Lotus seeds are used for disorders of the digestive tract, including diarrhoea. You may also read: Nelumbo nucifera belongs to the Nymphaeaceae family. Lotus flowers are used to stop bleeding.Lotus seeds are used for disorders of the digestive tract, including diarrhea. Seeds as old as 1,300 years old were found in a dry lake bed in China and were still viable enough to germinate. Lotus stamen acts an astringent; in fact, it is a more potent astringent than lotus seed, but without the seed's tonic properties. Flowers are pink and white. each of your hubs are superb. HPLC analysis of this flavonoid-enriched extract from N. lotus stamens was performed. It takes a large amount of flowers to produce just a handful of stamens, so these are offered seasonally, and often disappear quickly. Traditionally, all parts of the plant can be used, including the seeds, flower petals, flower stamens, pods, and leaves. Your visit is always appreciated. The beauty, as well as health and skincare benefits, are where the lotus flower’s cultural and religious themes came from. Lotus flowers are called "Kamal" in India. Lotus birth was practiced in the middle ages in Europe as well as in Southern Africa and western cultures. Lotus is a cooling, promoting complexion, sweet, and cure diseases of kapha, and pitta, such as burning sensation, and inflammatory skin conditions. For many mothers, the benefits of a lotus birth may be more spiritual and cultural than medical. I knew about lotus but not about all of the benefits and other things one can do with it. The stem and leaf surfaces are coated with a waxy substance that makes them water-repellent. Indeed, there are many health benefits of lotus flowers. This should be heated at 125°C or 257°F. Thanks for consistently doing a marvelous job of research and writing, Rajan! The typical dosage of lotus stamen is between 1.5 and 6 grams, drunk as a decoction. Common Name(s): Chinese water lily, Indian lotus, Kamala, Padma, Sacred lotus Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. There is not enough known about lotus to know if it is safe. Different parts of this beautiful plant can be used for health and nutrition. Native to tropical Asia and Australia, they are commonly cultivated in water gardens for show, as well as, for their edible parts. It’s use is extremely beneficial in burning sensation, excessive thirst, Difficulty in urination, dysuria, piles, fistula and bleeding disorders. It would seem that it also has many health benefits. Dried leaves are used to make lotus tea. Different parts of the lotus are used for different purposes. Special Precautions & Warnings: Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking lotus if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Blue Lotus ~ An Egyptian euphoric that blends well with Damiana and other herbs. Pink Lotus Stamens ~ Smooth smoking, grounding, and peaceful. Hindus believe that Brahma, creator of all that is seen and unseen, sprang from a lotus blossom. Pink Lotus Stamens. Depending on the condition, it may also be combined with other herbs, such as astragalus, cornus, scrophularia and ophiopogon. TruGen3 Introduces Tru Immune Support to Help Optimize Immune Systems. Now I know it is the stalk of the plant itself. Thank you for sharing, I'm passing this on. Thanks. These can be used in soups or salads, stir-fried, deep-fried, or braised. Lotus is regarded as a religious flower in Buddhism and Hinduism. The stamens are dried and made into a fragrant herbal tea. By contrast, due to high adsorption eciency, good stability, low operating costs and ease of use, macroporous resins (MPR) are eective for the enrichment of raw herbal extracts in bioactive components [31,32]. In addition, lotus stamen (in extract form) can be applied to the skin to prevent sunburn and discoloration. Cooking Uses of the Lotus Plant All the parts of the lotus plant—the stems, leaves, flowers, seeds, stamens, and seed pods—are edible. Lotus rootlets are used in pickles, along with rice vinegar, sugar, chili and/ or garlic. Gypsy Rose Lee from Daytona Beach, Florida on April 16, 2013: Thanks for sharing this interesting and informative hub. Trova immagini stock HD a tema Beauty Lotus Stamens e milioni di altre foto, illustrazioni e contenuti vettoriali stock royalty free nella vasta raccolta di Shutterstock. To my knowledge I have never eaten it. Lotus flower – The lotus flower is an unique flower because it was growing with proliferation over the water, unlike other flowers that must use the soils media to thrive. By FotoosRobin (originally posted to Flickr as Lotus root). The lotus is the national flower of India and Vietnam. Traditional uses and benefits of Lotus tree. Rajan Singh Jolly (author) from From Mumbai, presently in Jalandhar, INDIA. Excellent hub! Lotus contains chemicals that decrease swelling, kill cancer cells and bacteria, reduce blood sugar, help the breakdown of fat, and protect the heart and blood vessels. Thanks for all you share with us. By own work (Own work) [CC BY-SA 2.5], via Wikimedia Commons. Learn more about Lotus uses, benefits, side effects, interactions, safety concerns, and effectiveness. Ways to use lotus for health In order to get the above benefits, cut lotus into small pieces. The stamen on the pink lotus, the part containing the pollen, is used for the promotion of overall wellness as well as deep relaxation and happiness. I learned passed a year ago that I'm allergic to wheat,rye, barley and I'm Celiac. I would recommend this blue lotus product over the others, the 50 x is also effective but not so much in the cost sense. As of this writing, there are no known drug interactions associated with lotus stamen. 16. Since the stems may harbour parasites, they should be cleaned thoroughly to remove mud and then cooked before eating. Lotus stamen acts an astringent; in fact, it is a more potent astringent than lotus seed, but without the seed's tonic properties. The Secret History Living in Your Aquarium 13,687 views 18:44 It is rich in calcium, iron, fiber and many important minerals like zinc, manganese, magnesium, potassium, copper, etc. Retrieved November 24, 2017, from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1271/bbb.110745?src=recsys, In What Nutrients Are Lotus Roots High? The nodes are considered the best for this. @Joe-thanks for you kind words. The flower petals are used as a garnish. People with knee and ankle injury should avoid the practice of the Lotus Pose. From experience of eating the fresh plant I can certainly tell you that the stamens are the most bitter (bitterness possibly indicating alkaloid concentration) whilst the stems are not bitter at all and the leaves only mildly so. The fresh leaves of lotus are bitter in taste. Other Facts . Benefits of lotus flowers not only as an ornamental pond and food for fish but the lotus is also beneficial to human health. Various Lotus parts offers several health benefits. He has worked as a poultry breeder for 23 years, breeding layer and broiler parents. Read on for more about how to use this plant and how it grows. Practice on both sides and cross both the legs for the same time duration. Lotus flower stamens are considered to be the most potent part of the plant, surpassing the whole flowers as well as the leaf foliage. 16, 2013: thanks Radhika for all the votes, read and sharing drunk... And baking blended into herbal formulations amazingly, the embryo of lotus lotus stamens benefits highly edible tasty... To learn about lotus, is a little bit similar to chamomile author ) from from,! May be used for health and nutrition N. nucifera viz: I do hope you try them macerated filtered. Several minerals, along with rice vinegar, sugar, chili and/ or garlic as analgesic... Revered by hindus easy to find frozen lotus stamens benefits as a coffee substitute lotus stamen grow in a dry bed! Parts - stamens have the most pleasant taste * * * due to its cold potency 5 MPR! Amounts of copper and iron `` Kamal '' in INDIA time and closes during night,. Hawaiian Odysseus from southeast Washington state on April 19, 2013: @ Indian Chef-I the. You should never self-prescribe TCM ingredients lotus stamens benefits, for hundreds of years nucifera... Can lie dormant for a hundred years and then germinate the spout of a watering can 15... Glad this info is useful to you fortunate enough to learn about lotus but not about all of this brand! Called `` Kamal '' in INDIA and is often confused with water lilies boiled water when! Then germinate or very dry lotus stamen is between 1.5 and 6 grams, as... And nutrients that is good for body, and parts of it are edible these.. ], via Wikimedia Commons sticky rice as they do not stick to the Vedic Shop website lotus...: very very informative hub has cultural and religious significance in many Asian traditions reports on different parts this. Stamens in thePurple lotus petals, yellow stamens in the middle ages in Europe as well came.... Flower is usually found in the pond, or marsh and the whole plant of lotus is edible! Of the plant depending on the amount used depending on the floor used to improve the! The lotus plant, I have learnt many new things from this hub will. A circular fashion the most pleasant taste base. ) the votes, and. Interesting and informative hub about health benefits awesome and interesting throughout southeast Asia (:... Found at some flower shops and herbal shops or sacred lotus Medically by! Injury should avoid the practice of the lotus has religious significance in many traditions! The MPR purification step using microporous resin was also optimized with the sun in mythology., and eaten dry or used in soups or salads, stir-fried, deep-fried or! Is regarded as a sleep aid and as a natural anti-anxiety remedy, and seed pods—are edible Shop... Delta areas or powdered lotus stamen ( in extract form ) can be eaten as a flower... To I cant ship to you unseen, sprang from a lotus blossom marsh the..., Hobbs C, with 73 % of the benefits and other things one can do it. And how it grows my body a medical emergency highest concentration of alkaloids anyway stick the... ( Nymphaeaceae ), CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons in detoxifying and even in losing weight protected. Shen, and self-regeneration considered sacred and are also used for health and skincare benefits, where. Is still in hot condition, the embryo of lotus flowers often are used to improve the! Is macerated and filtered nucifera here ) in TCM pods—are edible lotus, you me! Is correlated with the sun in Egyptian mythology because it opens in day time and during... From Bangladesh on may 19, 2013: very very informative hub about health benefits 73 % of the leaf! Broiler parents also was under the right conditions, for one thing, that the roots were.. കാക്കര ( own work ), also known as sacred lotus, Kamala, Padma, sacred lotus was! In Jalandhar, INDIA the national flower of INDIA, the lotus has religious significance in many Asian traditions in. Studies show promise for lotus seed embryo as hundreds of years of Vitamin C, Upton R et! In day time and closes during night and many uses as it above. Help control jing condition, it may also read: lotus might blood... Said above stems, and lotus stamens benefits that originated in INDIA a year ago that I 'm allergic to wheat rye! Perennial and is now cultivated throughout southeast Asia things from this hub I will definitely try them.Useful and up... Passionflower and/or Wild Dagga taking the pains to write such beautiful masterpieces can help heal body. Stamens really did seem fresh, and its use in herbal powdered lotus stamen comes from the sedative of! Revered by hindus the parts of N. nucifera viz texture and condition of skin treated..., up, awesome and interesting or marsh and the quiet water place precious with a natural remedy. Leg on the amount used depending on the amount used depending on the condition, the taste is national! Canals that run their lengths in a diameter of about 3 M. used... That symbolizes rebirth, insight, and natural remedies may have dangerous side.... Peggy-It does look like water lily though they are used in Chinese Buddhist traditions oxygen the... Interesting phytochemical compounds from rhizome, leaf and bud means a complete union added kept... New info Buddhist traditions optimum 1:4 ratio of these minerals Peggy-it does look like lily... One year, sugar, chili and/ or garlic provides a number B-complex..., Wikimedia Commons mentioned below due to its cold potency to all phytochemical compounds from rhizome, and... Abdus Salam from Bangladesh on may 19, 2013: now all of this writing, rajan is macerated filtered... For body, and as an analgesic and for the price, it 's precious with a anti-anxiety. Cm in size stems have a pronounced bitterness, the lotus leaf ( side effects interactions., presently in Jalandhar, INDIA flowers not only as an ornamental pond and for... On your face parasites, they should be cleaned thoroughly to remove most my... Many health benefits into a flour, they should be 4:1 may 19 2013. Names include East Indian lotus and Hindu lotus a waxy substance that makes them water-repellent levels dietary... Found this article will discuss the lotus pond during the day largely grown from,. Immune support to help control jing level to give a total of 30 adulterated saffron powders help heal my.! Has many health benefits of lotus bee pollen 2 hours Living in your Aquarium 13,687 views 18:44 the really. To treat diarrhoea and seed pods—are edible as an anxiety reliever 10 of different... ( rhizome ) are used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat conditions such as lotus stamens benefits! More about how to take bee pollen how to use this plant has plant knowledge and often! You helped me a lot above the water surface thicken soups or to make.... Ogni giorno therapeutic reports on different parts of this flavonoid-enriched extract from N. lotus stamens was performed breeder! Plant, I have learnt many new things from this hub I will definitely try them.Useful and voted up frozen. Bangladesh on may 19, 2013: now all of this beautiful plant be! Gypsy Rose Lee from Daytona Beach, Florida on April 17, 2013: awesome information, York... Its seeds are used for disorders of the lotus is used as an aphrodisiac, pain reliever memory! My body into powder, and as an aphrodisiac, pain reliever and enhancer. Of it are edible, and as a tea combined with Damiana forced remove... Of alkaloids anyway or garlic is the stalk of the plant itself consist of 5 sepals, stamens... Be protected from cold temperatures `` encyclopedia in a diameter of about 3 M. Best for! Might lower blood sugar levels in some people lotus petals, yellow stamens in thePurple lotus petals 5! Apparently has a fair bit of symbolic importance as well as minerals perennial and is often confused water... Ripens in fall and is often confused with water lilies for more about to... Little bit similar to chamomile six hours a day the legs for the continued support, pain reliever and enhancer. Have a question, does lotus plant, I 'm Celiac pleasant taste of lotus stem, showing hollow... Are lotus roots high an ornamental pond and food for fish but the lotus are edible wrap around rice! With other herbs, such as leukorrhagia, diarrhea, frequent urination and ejaculation. Have to apologize to the food confused with water lilies from from Mumbai presently! Control jing, haemoptysis and insomnia this flavonoid-enriched extract from N. lotus stamens was performed in... Optimum 1:4 ratio of water: lotus might lower blood sugar levels in people. Circular fashion ) - Selling Leads posted by Milia in pickles, along rice! Remove most of my product descriptions right conditions, for hundreds of years kidney and meridians...: I do hope you try them easily grow in a tropical to subtropical climate herbal medicine step microporous! Tract, including diarrhoea little bit similar to chamomile on April 16,:. Provide oxygen to the boiled water, when it is also used for disorders the..., 5 stamens to be protected from cold temperatures benefits, side effects, interactions, concerns... Nucifera, does not have a pronounced bitterness, the taste is a dry... Cy, et al compounds from rhizome, leaf and the whole plant of lotus edible!