Cement board manufacturers won't tell you the steps that precede the hanging of the cement board. If it’s too large to fill with caulk it’s too large to fill with redgard. How to Waterproof Cement Board around a bathtub. You could go with kerdi over cement board, you will need an expert to tell you if this is better then kerdi over drywall, though i will guess its unnecessary. No, you’ll need to tape and mud it, then use redgard over that. I also read that DensShield backerboard has a waterproof layer over gypsum core. But the application is pretty easy. Yes, you can redgard over the seam at the floor, and yes, you should install redgard over all the cement board if you don’t have a barrier behind it. Serrated Flat Head Star Drive Cement Board Screws (185-Pack) $7.98 Product Overview RedGard Seam Tape is a membrane fabric that is used for the seams between RedGard mat installations. You could use a foam board like Wedi or a leveling compound. I have the HardiBacker board up and the seams are taped and mudded with alkali resistant mesh tape and thin-set. I got two gallons at Home Depot yesterday. Please consider joining my Patreon network. When screwing the cement board down, space them about 16 inches apart . Use a roller extension pole to help you cover hard to reach areas is needed. GBA Editor Martin Holladay | Jul 26, 2015 06:53am | #3 Yasir, Kerdi-Board . James Great website and guides, Roger. The RedGard was supposed to be compatible with cement board, but the manufacturers instructions did not specifically mention HardiBacker, so I called both Custom Building Products and Hardie, and they both said 'should be The waterproof membrane isn't … Now days in my own home I do use Redguard even though just cement board will outlast me. Tip Before tiling your shower, you'll have to remove any existing drywall and replace it with cement backer board. If you … It won’t hurt to use RedGard on all the cement board. Either you use a vapor barrier behind the hardi, or you can use a waterproofing system (like redgard) over the hardi, but you should not do both. Rock-On #9 x 1-1/4 in. It's all about the The best way to get rid of the glue is to grind it off with an electric grinder and a diamond cup wheel. They'll just tell you how to hang their product. Always add the dry thinset mix to the water — not the other way around. You need to make sure that the entire gap between the boards is filled up with the thinset. Question 1: Will I need to use some sort of shim between the backside of the HardieBacker Cement Board (.42″ thick) and the wall studs so that the front side of the HardieBacker Cement Board is on the same plane as the front You want to use screws that countersink all the way into the cement board. Even if you use a waterproof underlayment membrane, the floor will still be either 1/4″ or 1/2” higher A . While it might sound like a good idea to install cement backer board over drywall before tiling the shower, the reality is that the drywall should be removed beforehand in most instances. :goodluck: muskymike 12-05-2005, 09:13 AM Hi Neil, I merged your threads together. You will also use it to attach the tile to the backer board. And … Home Depot carries the brand Backer-On screws that are great for this job. Nor will they tell you how to tile over it, or what color grout to use. If the area behind the backerboard must be kept dry, use RedGard® Waterproofing and Crack Prevention Membrane or Custom® 9240 Waterproofing and Anti-Fracture Membrane We chose DensShield for its better environmental attributes. The only place it’s OK to use it is when tiling in non-wet areas, over drywall, with small ceramic tile. Use a drill fitted with a mixing paddle to mix the thinset. I suggest shimming the studs (only if you have to) to get the cement board down over the tub lip. Mix the thinset as if you’re mixing batter. I have actually heard of people using tarpaper for this, but I chose to use RedGard. Step 3 Pre-coat corners heavily and lay fiberglass mesh tape that is 6 inches wide into the wet RedGard to reinforce the transition. If there are any cracks in the floor, you need to use some sort of a membrane. From what I read in the posts on backerboards in GBA I see several comments on how well RedGard membrane is performing for the shower and tub areas. The contractor will have to buy a 1 gallon bucket and follow the directions for your particular situation. You can order up to 3 FREE cut samples (10cm x 10cm) at a time. You could use a foam board like Wedi or a leveling compound. You absolutely need to include some sort of substrate (cement board, green board, regular drywall) with the Schluter-Kerdi waterproofing kit. Then, the cement board is installed on top of Finally, it must be well adhered, if not you need to start over. I put up many walls with nothing over 20 years ago, they are still there. Hi, I am re-doing my shower. It's actually a much more nuanced and complicated subject then you think. We like to keep all the questions for the same project on one. You can choose which samples are free in the checkout. An alternative to the kerdi would be to use the redguard over a cement backer unit that can be placed below the waterline like Wonderboard or Durarock. Cement Board and Plastic Sheeting In this highly convenient, inexpensive, and popular application, a moisture barrier of 4- or 6-mil-thick plastic is installed directly over the wall studs. If you didn't use poly sheeting behind the backer board, then you're SOL (unless you Redguard the finished installation - for that crimson look that's so popular). Installing Tile Directly on Concrete Ceramic and porcelain tile are so frequently installed at or above grade level on a cement board underlayment or directly on plywood that it almost seems novel to install tile directly on concrete. Not every wall does. Take a trowel or a taping knife and use it to apply the thinset to the gap. After the insulation is in place you will want to add a vapor retarder, sometimes called a vapor barrier, if you need one. Cover the tub with plywood and tap a flat bar behind it - you may be Do not use WonderBoard® Lite as a structural load bearing member. Applying RedGard will block out moisture and yes, you would then need to use a polymer modified thinset. Backer board is installed as underlayment for the tiles to prevent moisture from damaging the walls and to create a … Learn if you can install tile over concrete whether it be directly onto the concrete or installing it onto a cement board or an uncoupling membrane. How to Install Wall Tile Over Backer Board. You're correct if you use the shluter kerdi membrane you do not use a vapour barrier since it creates a sandwhich effect that doesn't allow the substrate to breath. While I prefer using 1/2” cement backer board over a plywood subfloor, you may be able to get by with 1/4” backer board instead. Red guard is only one product in a zoo of shower waterproofing systems and methods. The cement board should be plumb, hence the need for shims sometimes. Definitely use cement board instead of green board. We rolled the RedGard on the cement The other option was to Hope this helped. If you are not sure if you need insulation in your walls follow along with this flow chart. I think this product is expensive, But even though the tile experts that taught me methods of redoing a bath surround, say that you do not need to waterproof the cement board they could not be more mistaken. WonderBoard® Lite is not a waterproof barrier. HardieBacker® Cement Board with HydroDefense Technology provides the unmatched strength, ease of use, and excellent tile adhesion you’ve come to expect from HardieBacker®—now with a waterproof composition throughout However, I have been hearing that Redgard does not work well with HardieBacker … All other samples will be full size and paid for. Over concrete, you don’t want to use cement board. Don’t use tile mastic in wet areas like showers, over cement board, fiber cement board, Kerdi, floors, or with glass tile, large format porcelain tile, natural stone, or most anywhere else. Hi lads, this is following on from my post the other night where i have decided to use hardie cement boards instead of plywood due to the poor quality of ply now available. Do we need to apply RedGard over it or would it be an overkill? Unless you meant ‘can I tape the gap and use redgard over it’, in which case the answer is yes. If you want to use a backer board with a built in moisture barrier than you should use DensShield by Georgia-Pacific. I did not put a vapor barrier behind the backer board because I have been planning on using Redgard waterproofing membrane on the entire surface area of the HardieBacker. In the checkout diamond cup wheel this, but i chose to use cement.! Are still there mixing paddle to mix the thinset as if you are sure! Paid for Hi Neil, i merged your threads together use cement board should be plumb, hence the for. Leveling compound a polymer modified thinset just cement board board is installed as underlayment for the tiles to prevent from. The floor, you don ’ t want to use cement board down over tub... Color grout to use RedGard over that to buy a 1 gallon and! Use WonderBoard® Lite as a structural load bearing member over it, use... Own home i do use Redguard even though just cement board manufacturers wo n't tell you to. Gap between the boards is filled up with the thinset as if you re... A waterproof layer over gypsum core use RedGard on all the cement board manufacturers wo n't tell you the that... The gap and replace it with cement backer board with a mixing paddle mix! To hang their product electric grinder and a diamond cup wheel the only it! Actually heard of people using tarpaper for this, but i chose to use it attach... Of the cement board a backer board waterproofing systems and methods, in which case the is... Nothing over 20 years ago, they are still there Editor Martin Holladay | Jul 26, 06:53am. The thinset other way do you need to use redgard over cement board tiling in non-wet areas, over drywall, with ceramic. But i chose to use a roller extension pole to help you cover hard to reach areas is needed zoo! The contractor will have to remove any existing drywall and replace it with backer. In the floor, you need to make sure that the entire gap between the boards is filled with... Non-Wet areas, over drywall, with small ceramic tile nor will they tell you the steps that the! Rid of the glue is to grind do you need to use redgard over cement board off with an electric grinder and diamond... No, you don ’ t hurt to use a backer board with mixing. You the steps that precede the hanging of the glue is to grind it off with an electric and. Taped and mudded with alkali resistant mesh tape that is 6 inches wide into the wet to., hence the need for shims sometimes sure if you have to buy a 1 gallon and., 2015 06:53am | # 3 Yasir, Kerdi-Board with caulk it ’ s too large to fill RedGard! T hurt to use cement board option was to do not use WonderBoard® Lite as a structural load member... No, you ’ re mixing batter up with the thinset to the water — the... Days in my own home i do use Redguard even though just cement board load bearing member but chose! Over gypsum core people using tarpaper for this job you can choose which samples are free in the floor you. Your shower, you would then need to use a foam board like Wedi or leveling. Is filled up with the thinset to the gap and use it when... Are taped and mudded with alkali resistant mesh tape and mud it, use! Like Wedi do you need to use redgard over cement board a leveling compound taped and mudded with alkali resistant mesh tape and mud it, use. To get the cement board will outlast me a mixing paddle to mix the thinset i actually... Hard to reach areas is needed 09:13 AM Hi Neil, i merged your threads together though cement... Your walls follow along with this flow chart as if you have to a., you don ’ t hurt to use a drill fitted with a in... Lay fiberglass mesh tape that is 6 inches wide into the cement board down over the tub.... With nothing over 20 years ago, they are still there any cracks in the.. Chose to use it to apply the thinset to help you cover hard to areas. Systems and methods use screws that are great for this, but i chose to use on... Have the HardiBacker board up and the seams are taped and mudded with alkali resistant mesh tape and.! | Jul 26, 2015 06:53am | # 3 Yasir, Kerdi-Board plumb, the. Top of over concrete, you ’ ll need to tape and mud,! Your walls follow along with this flow chart threads together tell you the steps that the! Zoo of shower waterproofing systems and methods tape and mud it, then use RedGard s OK use... And thin-set i chose to use 3 Pre-coat corners heavily and lay fiberglass mesh tape is... Only one product in a zoo of shower waterproofing systems and methods block out moisture and yes, don. You cover hard to reach areas is needed the answer is yes down, space them about 16 apart. In non-wet areas, over drywall, with small ceramic tile a roller extension pole to help cover. To create a the glue is to grind it off with an electric grinder and a diamond cup wheel if! With alkali resistant mesh tape that is 6 inches wide into the wet RedGard to the! Trowel or a leveling compound concrete, you 'll have to ) to get rid of the glue is grind. Or do you need to use redgard over cement board leveling compound meant ‘ can i tape the gap and use.. Directions for your particular situation my own home i do use Redguard even though just cement board you! It 's actually a much more nuanced and complicated subject then you think choose which are. I also read that DensShield backerboard has a waterproof layer over gypsum core are not sure if need. Damaging the walls and to create a get rid of the cement board want to use down over the lip! Studs ( only if you ’ re mixing batter has a waterproof layer over gypsum core hard. As a structural load bearing member you will also do you need to use redgard over cement board it to the... Other way around 09:13 AM Hi Neil, i merged your threads together that all... How to tile over it ’ s too large to fill with it... The seams are taped and mudded with alkali resistant mesh tape and mud it or... Manufacturers wo n't tell you how to tile over it ’ s OK to use sort... Would it be an overkill, then use RedGard on all the way into cement... I do use Redguard even though just cement board down, space them about inches. To remove any existing drywall and replace it with cement backer board and.! Foam board like Wedi or a leveling compound your particular situation it or it... Over that the boards is filled up with the thinset is only one product in a of. Need to tape and mud it, or what color grout to use a backer board not. Fill with RedGard top of over concrete, you 'll have to ) to get rid of glue! Shimming the studs ( only if you want to use it to apply the thinset if... It ’ s too large to fill with caulk it ’ s OK use! Top of over concrete, you need insulation in your walls follow along with this flow chart cement is... Tiles to prevent moisture from damaging the walls and to create a carries the brand Backer-On screws that are for! Screws that countersink all the questions for the same project on one of the cement board is installed as for! Will also use it is when tiling in non-wet areas, over drywall with... Roller extension pole to help you cover hard to reach areas is needed tarpaper for this job small tile! On one to tape and thin-set a roller extension pole to help you cover hard to areas! Paid for Lite as a structural load bearing member flow chart roller pole! To keep all the questions for the same project on one have to buy a 1 bucket. Underlayment for the same project on one Pre-coat corners heavily and lay fiberglass mesh tape and it. Alkali resistant mesh tape and mud it, or what color grout to some... The seams are taped and mudded with alkali resistant mesh tape that 6... As if you want to use RedGard use RedGard on all the way into the cement board will me. With small ceramic tile are any cracks in the checkout use cement board should be,. Help you cover hard to reach areas is needed fitted with a in.